Strategic Advisory Council
The Strategic Advisory Council provides NewWorld with insight on:
- Economic macro-forces, such as shifting product buying dynamics by businesses, opportunities in energy efficiency (without additional regulatory incentives), cost-reduction plays in energy provision, competitive entrance into the U.S. market by Asian companies, growth of green consumer markets.
- Regulatory realities and outlook at the federal, state and local levels – e.g., appliance incentives (business and consumer), local and state building codes, state-level utility de-coupling to promote energy efficiency, energy labeling and certification, EPA performance and reporting standards, possible future producer-responsibility laws.
- Business segment knowledge and access – e.g., smart grid development, industrial wastewater reclamation and reuse, capturing value from waste, growth and development of environmental services. Included are market growth dynamics, product substitution dynamics, buyer incentives and behavior, and related issues that influence growth, operating margins, capital requirements, and competitiveness.
- Surmounting business-scaling challenges – e.g., building sales and marketing capability, creating and managing key account programs, managing distribution channels, rapidly expanding production and distribution capacity, entering overseas markets.
- Threats from off-shore technology, product development, and business strategies – e.g., business incursions from Asia (China, Taiwan, South Korea) and other international competitors.
- Exit Strategies – e.g., likely prospective buyers for NewWorld finished businesses and assets, strategic relevance of these businesses/assets to the next owner, extent to which the next owner should value the scalability of the business platform.
- Advising NewWorld on strategy and related issues
- Providing specific assistance on target company diligence
- Advising on business-building challenges for portfolio companies
- Providing access to target reference portfolio company customers
- Helping keep NewWorld up to date on leading edge developments and issues
- Expanding NewWorld’s franchise in the market (as a radiating reference), including deal sourcing
Members of the NewWorld Strategic Advisory Council
Rohit ("Rit") T. Aggarwala, PhD
A member of the team building Sidewalk Labs, an urban innovation firm founded by Dan Doctoroff and Google, he is also the co-chair of the Regional Plan Association’s Fourth Regional Plan for the New York metropolitan area and an adjunct professor at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs.
Nora Mead Brownell
Co-Founder ESPY Energy Solutions; Board member of Comverge, Spectra Energy Partners (NYSE:SEP), Times Publishing Company, Tangent Energy Solutions and National Grid, PLC (NYSE:NGG); past Commissioner of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC); Founder BC Consulting
Fred H. Chang
Managing Director of Unicorn Capital (China); Former Managing Director of Chrysalix Clean Energy Capital; Former VP of GE Equity
Norman E. Gaut, PhD
Chairman of SuperWater Solutions, Inc., Galactic Energy, LLC, and Semaco Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Founder and former President, Environmental Research and Technology, Inc.; past CEO of PictureTel; Life Member of the MIT Corporation
Peter C. Goldmark, Jr.
Former Director of the Climate and Air Program for the Environmental Defense Fund; past Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey; past Director of the Budget for the State of New York; past President of The Rockefeller Foundation
Harry R. Halloran, Jr.
Chairman and CEO of American Refining Group, ARG Resources, and American Refining and Biochemical, Inc.; Founder of a number of businesses in wind development and operations, wind technology and wind services markets; Founder of Halloran Philanthropies.
Stefan Heck, PhD
Co-author of Resource Revolution (published by Melcher Media, April 2014); Consulting Professor at Stanford University; past Director of the Sustainability and Resource Productivity Practice at McKinsey & Co.; past Director of the Global Semiconductor Practice at McKinsey & Co.
Gayle P.W. Jackson, PhD
President & CEO of Energy Global; Director of Ameren Corporation (NYSE:AEE) and Atlas Pipeline Partners (NYSE:APL); Former senior positions at Peabody Energy, FE Clean Energy; past Deputy Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
Michael A. Levi, PhD
Senior Fellow for Energy and the Environment at the Council on Foreign Relations and Director of the Maurice R. Greenberg Center for Geoeconomic Studies; past Fellow at The Brookings Institution; past Director of the Federation of American Scientists' Strategic Security Project
Bruce M. Kahn, PhD
Portfolio Manager at Sustainable Insight Capital Management; former Director in Deutsche Bank's Asset Management Division; member of Advisory Council of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board and Mercer Investment Consulting’s Sustainable Opportunities Fund
Lawrence ("Larry") H. Linden, PhD
Founder and Trustee of the Linden Trust for Conservation; past chair of Resources for the Future; past General Partner at Goldman Sachs; moved Goldman Sachs into environmental markets
Founder and Managing Director of Highland Ventures Group, LLC; Director at Redstone Strategy Group, LLC; Director at SmartSenseCom; Director Emeritus and past Director at McKinsey & Company.
Yueh-Lin ("Lynn") Loo, PhD
Professor of Chemical & Biological Engineering at Princeton University; Deputy Director of the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment; Fellow of the American Physical Society; Young Global Leader of the World Economic Forum; past Fellow at NewWorld Capital Group
Nino Tronchetti Provera
CEO of Ambienta Sgr; past General Manager of Olivetti; past CEO of Finsiel; Founder Cam Tecnologie; past consultant at McKinsey & Co.